Are you a budding copywriter? Do you want to know how to become a copywriter? Do you want to know how to be a good copywriter and how much they make? All your questions are genuine! You will find all the answers to such questions.
A good sales copy holds the potential to sell the product. But, how? It compels the viewers to turn into potential customers. It happens when they take the action that the company wants them to take.
Do you think that a copywriter needs to have the talent to write lengthy blogs? Then, no! Because they need something small, concise, yet catchy and noticeable in the eyes of the customers.
A great sales copy sells the values of the company to the customer and then the product. It is their indirect journey towards purchasing a product.
Thus, the answer to the question of “how to become a good copywriter?” is, being capable to your customers. Convincing has to not be a forcible one! That is where the real art lies. It should be in a creative yet normal but powerful tone. Balancing all three is a copywriter’s job.
Let’s see furthermore qualities of a good copywriter and how to be a good copywriter.
Top 10 Tips On How To Become A Good Copywriter
1. Look At It As An Art
How does an artist prefer to think? Different! Yes! If you think, all the same, you cannot deliver a unique material to the audience. To touch the audience’s heart, you need to connect with them, sure! But also, you need to move them in terms of feelings.
Creating something different comes with a lot of challenges. It involves a lot of risks too. If you take risks that can change your life, then it is a must to take. You get to showcase your creative talents in writing valuable content through the work of copywriting. So, you should not miss it!
The bottom line is that as a copywriter delivering innovative content gets you good pay too!
2. Avoid Disrespectful Language In Your Content
A copywriter must not get too carried away. Creating and delivering the best content always involves a lot of pressure. In such times, thinking that a little slang language could make the content funny, but it does not. It is a dicey concept.
You may get a certain amount of appreciation and get a tag of “a cool copywriter”, but not in the eyes of the majority. It may also bring down the name of the company for whom you write.
Again, it may work for certain products but not all and not every time. So sounding decent is the best answer on how to be a good copywriter. Also, research on the target audience sets the tone for writing.
3. Learn About Your Audience
It is amongst the very first things on the list of how to become a copywriter. Take time to know:
- What does the audience want from you?
- How does the audience think about the company or the past products?
- What does the audience expect from the company?
- How your content can connect with them?
- How to make the sales copy engaging enough so that they find it relatable and unique at the same time?
These are some of the questions that if the copywriter answers, add value to the product.
In the digital era, nowadays poll taking has become very common. Even the reviews in Google and other social media content can get you many reviews on how the audience actually thinks. Using all that as a part of your audience, a copywriter can define their products or services.
Such things become a groundwork study for the copywriter, along with the study of the brand marketing side of the products. Hence, the opinion of the audience is very vital in framing a sales copy for any type of copywriter.
4. Practice And Shape Your Own Voice
Having your own style comes with a lot of practice. It also comes with a lot of experience. But, sometimes you may have had the talent but not got enough exposure, in that case, a lot of practice, or understanding certain nuances helps.
You may have natural creativity for copywriting, but you need to hone it from time to time. Or, you may have the potential to develop talent for copywriting. In both cases, the practice would make you perfect.
Read a lot on copywriting. Understand your setbacks. When a piece of write-up is out, read it, and imagine how you would have done it.
Develop it yourself, and keep on practicing. The practice works are exercises, and not for publishing purposes. So, with that in mind, observe good writing pieces and practice more.
Make a note of things you would write as a copywriter, and try to create innovative ideas for your copywriting.
5. Believe In Your Perception And Keep An Open Minded And Flexible Approach
The blockage to many of our perceptions is our very own fears. Fear hinders you from expressing what you feel about something.
Then how to become a copywriter, when there is fear of expression of your perception? You need to gradually erase that! And it goes away, the moment you start expressing your ideas to the world.
The advertisement industry is changing vastly nowadays. What was correct in advertising much before is only seldom correct now. Imbibe the correct ones and get up to date with the new ones! Now, the audience wants more real content.
Again, for that look around for real examples, read books on copywriting, be flexible and shun the narrow-minded approaches. The more you connect with the audience, the more they will hook up with your content. Therefore, they will be irresistible to even buy your products.
End result is good online traffic, good awareness in the audience of the brand, and good marketing strategies.
6. Compelling writing style
It is the copywriter’s work throughout their career to write compelling pieces.
The headlines must be catchy. So that, people read the main content, and that should be entertaining too! So that, people visit your website more and buy the products.
Catchy writing style, value for the product, creativity, wit, a slice of real issues all are a part of a good sales copy. By reading such a sales copy, the audience should gain confidence in the company. In turn, the company gains trust from the customers.
To be a good copywriter, you need to strike a chord with the audience. You need to find the balance in expressing value and emotions. Again, all this comes with practice and reading a lot of examples.
There are tons of examples of good copywriting. Some of them are:
- Claude Hopkins, the copywriter who is responsible for the success of Schlitz Beer. Rather than establishing the quality of the beer, he brought the fact of cleanliness of the beer factory. He put the purity factor in the very right place. The reaction was impressive and profitable! This was back in the 20th-century beginning.
- Then, in 1994 Amul’s tagline and white revolution creator Dr.Kurien. He is the creator of the tagline “Utterly Butterly Delicious”. It was an extremely eye-catching and mouth-watering slogan, which still sells Amul.
- Tuft & Needle’s landing page copy in the times of 2021 is also one of the best examples of the best sales copy. It has a simple home page, but marvelous landing page resources that would interest the customers according to various sales occasions.
This is why customers tend to look forward to their website. They have irresistible offers, their way of article writings, and sales copy, etc. are worth the hype.
Such compelling words can lead to getting more and more customers.
7. Make Goals And Do Not Overlook It
After you know your audience. it is very important for you to know your goals.
- What is the age group of your target audience?
- What can create interest in them?
- What are the values of the product you are working on?
- What are the challenges in making the sales copy? How to solve them?
- Deadline issues, etc
- Writing style for different social media and other digital space, etc
And there can be many more depending on the nature of your work. It requires note-making and ticking them off from time to time. You can define your present and near-future goals separately and look into them accordingly.
8. Lead the Audience To “Call To Action” (CTA)
What is the reason for writing a compelling copy? Or, making eye-catching content? The key is “persuasion”. Copywriters persuade the audience in an indirect way to proceed to “(CTA)”. This is the main marketing strategy that the copywriter must focus on.
Writing a CTA is also one of the jobs of the copywriter in some cases. The CTA needs to be informative and clear to the audience. It should have an intention to guide the audience and not confuse them. It should persuade them.
The company’s main motive is to make sales by creating brand awareness. When it convinces the audience, they turn into the company’s potential customers and up the sales market. Hence, a sales copy that leads to a lot of sales return is the best.
It is the copywriter’s work to make them aware of the product, its advantages, its value and then drives them to CTA. Healthy practices in guiding customers through your landing pages too can make customers happy and get you even more!
So, to convince the viewers and guide them to CTA is also a part of the copywriter’s job through their writing.
9. Optimize It Considering The SEO Needs
Just like any content writing, this type of content writing needs to be SEO-friendly.
In copywriting, most of the sales copy demands concise size. In such cases, relevant keywords do matter. But it also matters not to overdo it. Nothing you must do to compromise your sales copy. At the same time, you can look for the best keywords that can suit your content and go for it.
For web copies, keywords and other SEO parameters can score a good web page ranking for the landing pages.
10. Be Concise In Conveying Your Message
The copywriter’s job is to write short yet meaningful and catchy. Balancing all such things again is an art. The writer’s message to the audience has to be direct at the same time engaging. Balancing such extremities in the content makes a good sales copy.
A customer, who is viewing the landing page of the website does not have much time to read. They want immediate results! Thus, concise copies with short yet unique write-ups are always given good results.
Copywriters are brand storytellers, they represent the brand. So, they cannot disappoint the viewers with their lengthy writing and bore them, and not convince them to believe in the company.
Knowing all the qualities that a good copywriter should have, let’s have a look at how to become a copywriter.
How To Become A Copywriter?
- Refine your freelance writing. It comes with a lot of reading different styles of work and with practice. Attend courses or workshops for copywriting, to upgrade your knowledge.
- Network more. Build contacts to get copywriting jobs. You can start with small and quality-oriented work. Then, head up to bigger projects as you eventually practice a lot.
- Share your profile and work on social media. Social media is the best way to make contacts. You can share them on Twitter, Linked In, Instagram, Facebook, and many more such platforms.
- List your skills on your CV in a proper manner. It highlights more than the amount of your education. The clients look forward to the skills you own.
- Research on current updates. Know how creating content is changing. Read books on them, visit different sites that discuss how to create content. Know the new changes, try to adapt to them, and inculcate in your skills. Know what SEO requirements require to make copywriting content successful. When you apply for copywriting positions, research your client’s work too. Observe what they expect from the new hires.
Let’s even see the money aspect part of a copywriter. A budding copywriter needs to know it, to drive their passion even more towards copywriting.
How Much Does A Copywriter Make?
- A copywriter who is a professional in the field gets a handsome salary irrespective of any gender. Talent goes a long way! They earn on average more than 17 lakhs.
- The salary ranges from eight to forty-eight lakhs depending on your talent in copywriting.
- According to PayScale database: A junior copywriter with less than one year of experience in copywriting earns up to 2,40,000 lakhs based on 15 salaries. These include tips, bonuses, overtime pay, etc. A copywriter with 1-4 years of experience earns around 2,94791 lakhs based on 21 salaries.
The copywriting profession is in huge demand. With the everyday demands for content creation, copywriting is boosting digital marketing sky high. Good web copies create a great SERP ranking. Also, it is an important part of marketing in any company. So, a good copywriter’s demand never dies. Now that you know how to become a copywriter, you can set your aspirations about your passion. Follow these tips on copywriting and carve your path towards copywriting!